Sunday, February 10, 2008

Paw Prints on our Planet



It comes to mind what we leave behind on our planet. A dog leaves a foot print, but what we choose to add to this dog may leave a larger foot print than we realize. How many doghouses, beds, toys, cushions, collars, shampoos, flea products, leashes and countless pick up containers , shovels, scoops etc. You know what I mean...picking up after them. Humans add unnecessary garbage. Taking care of them does not have to contribute to our landfills. Example: If you live near the beach, play with them in the ocean and when you come home quick rinse with the hose only and then break off some pleasant smelling sage and rub it on while they are still wet. Air dry by playing with them and no fleas. Fleas don't like the salt water and the sage makes the coat shiny and smell good. You both get a workout and one on one time, fresh air and feeling great. Even in the winter and rainy season I just wear a windbreaker and do the same thing but dry him off well with a towel before rubbing him down with a sage.

Simple? No, but worthwhile efforts payout longterm. I don't focus on a gym, but then I save money that way. Fresh air is free and I get some great ideas, meet dog lovers too and have always had a pleasant walk of 12 miles on the weekends that refresh me and empower a smile that doesn't end. Billy sometimes gets a call from me as I am at my half way mark on the beach near Leadbetter before I turn around to return to Henry's beach. Watching for the Low tide is important year round to be able to safely walk the entire time. Weather permitting? Well my windbreaker and water repellent Columbia pants does me fine. I recently replaced my wet suit socks for thicker ones and I wear Tiva water shoes. Occasionally I get a small blister because my toe nails grow fast being in water on weekends, but that reminds me to trim them again doesn't it. Small price to pay for neglecting my toes. But my heels have gotten better now that I've gotten a pumice stone. Still, the walks on the beach are priceless for me and I cannot picture a weekend without Owen and a tennis ball on low tide. Perhaps since I have dialed in when it hits 3 feet going towards a low tide makes it the best walking time, no matter what time of day. But the mornings have been serene and peaceful for us both. Besides the surf birds give Owen endless running time though he can't fly, but it seems that he runs like he is flying high.